Semi large website development in C++ using Wt (Witty)
So, I’ve decided to take up a decent sized web development project. It will include the following components.
- User forum
- User blogs
- User profiles and friends lists.
- News feed
- Groups (similar to meetup.com)
- Classifieds (like craigslist but not ghetto and targeted for my audience)
- Social networking integration
- Stackoverflow integration for my target audience
- e-commerce functionality for a small number of products
I plan to use the following technologies:
- Webtoolkit (WT http://www.webtoolkit.eu is a C++ web development toolkit)
- ODB (http://www.codesynthesis.com/products/odb/ right now is a fledgling C++ ORM)
- Ubuntu server
- Cherokee webserver (http://www.cherokee-project.com/ is a very fast webserver)
It’s a hard project, but I’m giving myself 3 months to make decent progress and if I make good progress, I think that some friends and I can complete it within a 12 to 18 months. If the first 3 months proves futile, I will just go with communityengine and rails.